Multiple sclerosis (MS) also known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata, is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS are unpredictable and vary from one person to another.
Multiple sclerosis usually affects women more than men. The disorder most commonly begins between ages 20 and 40, but can be seen at any age.
Multiple Sclerosis is a progressive disease, meaning the nerve damage (neurodegeneration) gets worse over time. In addition to nerve damage, another part of multiple sclerosis is inflammation. Inflammation occurs when the body’s own immune cells attack the nervous system. The inflammation destroys the myelin, leaving multiple areas of scar tissue (sclerosis). It also causes nerve impulses to slow down or become blocked, leading to the symptoms of MS. Repeated episodes, or flare ups, of inflammation can occur along any area of the brain and spinal cord.
MS symptoms include:
- Vision Impairments including: Blurred or double vision, red-green color distortion or even blindness in one eye.
- Muscle weakness in the extremities and difficulty with coordination and balance. In the advanced cases, partial or complete paralysis.
- Peripheral Neuropathic symptoms like Numbness, prickling, or “pins and needles” sensations.
- Speech impairments
- Tremors ,Dizziness ,Hearing loss
- Cognitive impairments, such as difficulties with concentration, attention, memory, poor judgment, and Depression
Being diagnosed and living with Multiple Sclerosis can be both challenging and overwhelming. Patients living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) feel more in control of their environment, comfortable, and secure when they are able to receive compassionate and dependable home care in their homes.
American Care Partners Home care Services in Northern Virginia can help. We are able to provide compassionate and Dependable In-Home care and treatment for patients and families who are living with Multiple Sclerosis.
American Care Partners In-Home nursing Care and personal Home care services include, but are not limited to:
- Administering of medications
- Private Duty Nursing (LPNs and RNs)
- IV antibiotics and other IV therapies
- Gastrointestinal care and bowel regimes
- Tracheotomy care
- Trained and Certified Ventilator Nurses
- Certified Respiratory Technicians
- Personal assistance with bathing, grooming, and other daily activities
- Assisting with transfer and mobility
- Respite care
- Preparing meals and feeding
- Performing light housekeeping
- Running errands (prescription pick-up, dry cleaning, etc.)
- Physician house call Services
Home care counselors at American Care Partners @ Home are available to talk with you about your in-home care needs including how to reduce caregiver stress while providing better, affordable care. We are an elder care agency providing Home Care in Falls Church, Virginia.Tags: falls church virginia, home care assistance, affordable care, home health care, elder care, multiple sclerosis